Tutorial submissions section / Tutorial culling

Tutorial submissions section / Tutorial culling

Postby Mekire » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:31 am

We occasionally get submissions to the Tutorial section here that quite frankly, aren't really up to standard. I was thinking we could remedy this by making a subforum within the Tutorials forum called, "Tutorial Submissions." Non mod/admin members would be unable to post new threads within the tutorial section but would instead post them in the "Tutorial Submission" section. If these were found to be of sufficient quality, they would then be moved to the Tutorial section proper.

Alongside this I would like to suggest the removal of certain threads in the tutorial section that (at least I feel) aren't up to standard. These include threads that are just not of sufficient quality/content, as well as several from one-and-done posters that never had any intent on joining the community but just wanted to post an ad for their own personal tutorial site. Those in the latter category are fine provided the site linked to is useful, but in many cases (the ones I suggest) they are not.

Here is the list of current tutorial threads I feel should be moved/deleted:
Python basics
My Python tutorials!
Python for Beginners – Getting Started
Program Arcade Games in Python
My tutorial site link
Functions
ctypes useage

No offense (for the most part) intended towards any of the authors.

Thoughts?
-Mek
Mekire

Re: Tutorial submissions section / Tutorial culling

Postby metulburr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 pm

I like it. I mean, i initially thought of the tutorials being a section only the mods could could post at to avoid such posts. However, there have been many good posts from non-admin/mods. So i think this idea would be the best of both worlds.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby Kebap » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Can only be good to separate "tutorials in work" from "recommended tutorials". I wonder how the commenting / updating of both threads will work, but please give it a test.
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby micseydel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:14 pm

I absolutely agree with everyone here and I'm glad Mekire brought it up. I also want any tutorials not "in progress" to be of extremely high quality. A single incorrect claim means it cannot be endorsed by us as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy to give them feedback and have them fix it though, of course.

My recommendations:
Python basics - absolutely awful. I gave feedback and it wasn't taken seriously. Move to "in progress".
My Python tutorials! - a 5 minute hello world video followed by functions? No way. "in progress"
Python for Beginners – Getting Started - advertises a commercial service. I would recommend deleting the profile and its posts.
Program Arcade Games in Python - after a little bit of looking didn't really see anything wrong with the tutorial itself. I don't mind that he isn't part of the community. Does anyone have any specific gripes with it?
My tutorial site link - delete, isn't free.
Functions - move to pending. My feedback for why is in the post.
ctypes useage - move to "tutorials in work" and give feedback, because the String/Int methods are very bad style. Besides that, it's not really comprehensive in that it doesn't allow you to really accomplish much.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:32 pm

im going to post what i think regardless of what it makes those with the tutorials feel. Those folks can take it with a grain of salt.

Being the fact that most of those people are beginners (some of which havent even logged in for 6 months) have horrible tutorials. (One even logged for only 5 minutes in March, to upload a tutorial and hasnt been back since). Those are a hair short ofjust being spam/ads for their site. The only reason being left there is because it indeed does have to do with python. As they progressed through programming, at the time, the thing they studied, seemed like the most important thing ever. And those people made tutorials for each section they learned. But they really dont have the whole picture. Some look more like "Hey.. look what i can do".

I skim through the tutorials thread when bored just looking for things i can touch up on or learn. These post really polute that. I really dont think they should be moved to tutorials in progress, but rather just outright deleted, as they only promote/fulfill the needs of the poster and no readers.

I think all tutorials should have open fixing to mods/admins. For example..all of my tutorials, every mod has the right to fix a typo or wording said wrong that i might of mixed up or add something missed, delete something wrong. I dont think the tutorials should be limited to the poster, as we portray this as tutorials and thus must be the best of all our abilities and knowledge. What is our reputation if our tutorials are incorrect, bogus, or make us out to be novice?
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby micseydel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm all for newbs making tutorials because it's a good way for them to reinforce what they learn and for us to give them feedback. I just don't want them polluting (to use your word) the high caliber material. I also don't mind people who have nothing to do with our little community, but have produced good tutorials, posting them here, since they're contributing to the larger Python community. Obviously, commercial sites don't count and we can delete those, since they're contributing to their pocketbooks rather than the community.

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Mekire » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:30 am

micseydel wrote:Functions - move to pending. My feedback for why is in the post.
This one is also a duplicate as Metul wrote one as well.

micseydel wrote:Program Arcade Games in Python - after a little bit of looking didn't really see anything wrong with the tutorial itself. I don't mind that he isn't part of the community. Does anyone have any specific gripes with it?
Well honestly I do have some specific gripes. Mainly they are as a result of his idea that teaching python best practices is not always important because his students will move on to different languages later. He has however expressed some desire to improve his tutorials so there is probably no harm in keeping it.

Anyway, can some admin privileged individual create the "Pending" subforum in Tutorials and lock the current main Tutorial section so we can move forward; as people seem to pretty much be in agreement.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby stranac » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:36 am

I have done so using the admin powers bestowed upon me by the almighty Me(while he still had access to Jakey's account).

Feel free to move the posts around, I haven't really followed this thread closely enough to know what should be moved.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby micseydel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Mekire wrote:
micseydel wrote:Functions - move to pending. My feedback for why is in the post.
This one is also a duplicate as Metul wrote one as well.

Like I said, I don't entirely mind something like that because the newb writer could learn a lot, we might notice something that could be improved in our approved one, and honestly even if we write great ones it's not for sure someone else won't improve on that!

Mekire wrote:Well honestly I do have some specific gripes. Mainly they are as a result of his idea that teaching python best practices is not always important because his students will move on to different languages later. He has however expressed some desire to improve his tutorials so there is probably no harm in keeping it.

The gripes you have (globals, code which is blatantly incorrect) are not specific to Python. Your gripes are 100% valid and I have no interest in us supporting something like that.

Thanks stranac! There was one post you didn't move that I got, but thanks for taking the brunt of the work.

Also, should we open all the tutorial to open domain, suggest that users put whatever license they want, or what?

micseydel

Postby metulburr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:36 pm

So let me get this striaght. This new subforum the "tutorial submissions" anyone can post at? While the "tutorials" have admin/mod rights only?
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby stranac » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Right. If I set it up correctly, that is.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby Mekire » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:56 am

Created an alt account to check it out and it seems to be working perfectly. The new post button does not show up for the main tutorial page; at shows up as normal in the Tutorial Submissions section.

-Mek
Mekire

Return to Suggestions