Creating a Mindmap Program

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Creating a Mindmap Program

Postby Prontera » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 am

Hi. I'm new with programming and I'm thinking of creating a mindmap program. Any ideas on how I should start?
Last edited by micseydel on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Locked OP.
Prontera

Re: Creating a Mindmap Program

Postby micseydel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:58 am

Do you know Python? Do you know a GUI framework? Do you have any existing programs you'd like to mimic the behavior of then expand on?
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Prontera » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:17 am

micseydel wrote:Do you know Python? Do you know a GUI framework? Do you have any existing programs you'd like to mimic the behavior of then expand on?

Thanks for the reply.

I only know a little Python. I went through half of this (http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/) in hopes of finding anything related to creating a mindmap but stopped because I didn't see anything relevant to me.

I don't know anything about GUI framework. How will this help me?

There's an iOS mindmap program called "IdeaSketch" that I'd like to mimic but I prefer to work with python. These are the only mindmap program that are written Python that I've found so far:

https://people.gnome.org/~dscorgie/screenshots.html
http://leoeditor.com/
http://ppqwiki.sourceforge.net/

The first link is a python mindmap called Labyrinth. It's ok but it lacks an outliner to go with it. The second link is a pure outliner called Leo. The third one I can't seem to download, but it mentions something about linking wikipedia with mindmap(?). That sounds nice. What should I do with these programs? Study their code or something?

Do you know any site where I could possibly find mindmap programs that I can mimic?
Prontera

Postby Marbelous » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Are you trying to learn Python or do you just need a MindMap tool? A GUI Framework is the Graphical User Interface that most programs use instead of just typing text into a command line. A MindMap tool WILL require you to create one. Tkinter is the GUI package that comes built in to python. It's very easy to use but has limitations compared to something like PyQT (which Leo uses). You will also need to be adept at OOP (Object Oriented Programming) since all the items (lines, arrows, pictures, text boxes, etc.) in your programs will be easier to work with if they're classes with attributes and methods. You should download and look at the code for Leo from SourceForge. You will see it is not a trivial task for beginners to coding although a simple version would be a good project once you're an intermediate Pythoner.

Of course you can always just buy a whiteboard and a pack of dry-erase markers... ;)
Marbelous

Postby Prontera » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 am

Marbelous wrote:Are you trying to learn Python or do you just need a MindMap tool?

I'm trying to create my own mind map program.

A GUI Framework is the Graphical User Interface that most programs use instead of just typing text into a command line. A MindMap tool WILL require you to create one. Tkinter is the GUI package that comes built in to python. It's very easy to use but has limitations compared to something like PyQT (which Leo uses). You will also need to be adept at OOP (Object Oriented Programming) since all the items (lines, arrows, pictures, text boxes, etc.) in your programs will be easier to work with if they're classes with attributes and methods. You should download and look at the code for Leo from SourceForge. You will see it is not a trivial task for beginners to coding although a simple version would be a good project once you're an intermediate Pythoner.

OOP deals with the mechanics and the GUI deals with the visuals. Got it. Thanks. I think I have an idea on what to do now.

Of course you can always just buy a whiteboard and a pack of dry-erase markers... ;)

Is that what you do? That's really low tech. Good abstraction though.

I'm thinking of making a self-organizing and self-constructing mind map. For now, I just want to make a basic one.
Prontera

Postby Marbelous » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Is that what you do? That's really low tech. Good abstraction though.

You would be surprised how many modern products start out on a whiteboard, graph paper or cocktail napkin. Some of us old engineers aren't fast enough with the new tech to get the idea down before it slips from our addled brains. I'm getting pretty good with Evernote though. I admit a MindMap tool sounds pretty useful for many of my projects. I'm planning to try out Leo so thanks for posting the link. :D
Marbelous

Return to General Coding Help