[Moderators] Please comment on new user, first post actions

[Moderators] Please comment on new user, first post actions

Postby micseydel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey all,

Today I noticed Kebap had quoted the OP for a couple people's first post and another OP for a thread that someone had a few posts. This is how we used to prevent people from removing their question after it got an answer, especially when it was homework (or looked like it). This kind of thing was a necessary evil, when KDoiron couldn't handle everything himself (though though you KDoiron for all the hard work of course) and it shift the noise-to-signal ratio in an undesirable way.

Now, we have many mods, and I'd like to suggest a policy of locking everyone's first post, always. After that you can use your best judgement, and if you see someone like Kebap quote it (which is totally fine for them to do), please lock the OP and delete the quote to keep things cleaned up.

I also like the practice of either editing people's crappy subject lines or asking them to do it. I really hate the "help please" posts. (More on that later.)

What's everybody think?
Last edited by Yoriz on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: changed title
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Re: Note for moderators

Postby Yoriz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Hey,
Locking a new users post sounds okay to me, I'll try and remember to start doing it :D
I've been changing the titles quite a bit lately, though it sometimes takes a while to figure out what they are asking lol.
I used to just tell them to use code tags but lately I'm a little more considerate and if possible add the code tags for them.
I noticed metulburr had put the link to the new user's post in his signature and thought that was a great idea for easily pointing them there so I copied it ;) .
Maybe after locking the post we should put a generic welcome to the forum, please read the new users link in my signature type of thing that we could come up with between us.
New Users, Read This
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Re: [Moderators] Please comment on new user, first post acti

Postby Kebap » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks for bringing this up. I do see your point. However, until somebody does lock the thread, I would take the liberty to quote, alas in minimal size. This way, I hope, it does not hinder too much. As soon as the thread is then locked, the quote can be removed again. Do you think we can work like that?
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby stranac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:06 am

We'll only be locking posts, not topics.
And I don' think there's a way you can know a post has been locked, unless we remember to leave a note.
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby Kebap » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:44 am

Sure, I meant locking the post not the whole thread.
I think I can see that, I can see if somebody edited the post. If nobody did, it is probably not locked. We can test it though.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby Yoriz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 am

I locked the previous post without leaving a reason, doing that I don't think gives any indication that it has been locked. so we would have to state in the reason for editing that the post was locked or add LOCKED to the bottom of the post itself.
New Users, Read This
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Postby Kebap » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Yoriz wrote:I locked the previous post without leaving a reason, doing that I don't think gives any indication that it has been locked.

confirmed, I don't see anything, yet can't edit anymore. This seriously thwarts my previous line of thought.
Kebap

Postby stranac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Just don't quote people, there's really no need.
We'll lock every users first post, and they're unlikely to delete their posts before getting help.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby Kebap » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:44 pm

It seems like, when you edit, you can add a reason as free text. However, when I edit my own posts, I can't find such an option. Was it planned like this?
Kebap

Postby micseydel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:41 pm

It's in the options at the bottom. I thought I could do it on the old forum before I had mod privileges, so unless I'm mistaken, if you can't do it now, that might have been a mistake on someone's part.

A post in this thread reminds me: someone (a mod) isn't locking people's first posts. Please do so, and note that you've done so, so that when I come along and don't see the comment, I don't have to make sure it's locked.

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby stranac » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:56 pm

It doesn't seem like it's there is an option for users to leave an edit reason.
It's possible to do by editing the php files, but only jakey has access to those...
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby Kebap » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Oh I am not asking for it, I am sure there are more important works to do :mrgreen: thanks for info!
Kebap

Postby Kebap » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Lately I have noticed some moderators trying to communicate with the poster via the edit comment. I can understand the handiness.

However, I don't feel this is a wise choice. The user will not receive an info on these responses, also must look carefully to even find it. I am sure I can think of more disadvantages.

My suggestion is to use the edit comment simply as a quasi internal note for moderators (why was the post edited), and not for communication towards the user. For that, better write an own post.
Kebap

Postby stranac » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:48 pm

Whenever I edit a post, I also send a PM to the user(including when I'm just adding code tags).
The edit is only there so the other mods know they don't have to edit the post/tell the user to edit it.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Return to Suggestions